From Agneepath to Dabangg 2, the year 2012 has witnessed many big and small budget films that have turned a huge success at Box office. Some of the films have unexpectedly done wonderful business and some movies earned good figure at box office due to the stardom of actors but critically couldn’t get acclaimed. Here we bring to you the 10 most popular movies that have given so much benefit to the Hindi Film industry. Film earned over Rs. 191 crore at Box office.
1. Ek Tha Tiger: The extreme popularity of Salman Khan and the very fact of former real-life girlfriend Katrina Kaif; and on the top of that the banner like Yashraj; helped to attract the huge number of audience to the theater. Although the film couldn’t get much critical acclaimed but film has turned as a biggest grosser of the year. The film earned Rs.140 crore at Box office.
2. Rowdy Rathore: a south remake film that had seen Akshay’s original Khiladi style. The film had good combination of Akshay's action & Prabhudheva's unique style of dance. It was a complete Masala Entertainer for the masses. The film earned Rs.140 crore at Box office.
3. Agneepath: A remake of 1990’s Super-hit movie. The film has broken the record of remakes films. With strong performance by Hrithik Roshan & Sanjay Dutt who reprised the role of Vijay Dinanath Chauhan and Kaancha Cheena respectively, the film got the tremendous response. Even the item number in the film by Katrina Kaif ‘Chikni Chameli’ became highly popular. The film earned around Rs 120 crore.
4. Jab Tak Hai Jaan: A yashraj film that marked the last directorial film of late legendary filmmaker Yash Chopra. With the leading couple like Shah Rukh Khan & Katrina Kaif and the Love Saga defined by Yash Chopra; made the film one of the highest grosser of the year. The collection of JTHJ went over Rs 120 crore in India and in overseas film created a record by beating the similar Hollywood releases.
5. Barfi: The simple yet beautifully made film by Anurag Basu was an official entry for Oscar from India, although the film couldn’t win the race of Oscar. The film was a love story of a deaf and mute boy, played by Ranbir Kapoor with an autistic girl played by Priyanka Chopra. The southern beauty Ileana D’cruz mader her Bollywood debut with the film. The film collected around Rs 110 crore.
6. Housefull 2: the sequel film by Sajid Khan set a new record by casting 12 known actors playing lead roles in the film. The comedy was 10 time high than the original Houseful film of 2010. The film made business over Rs. 110 crore at the box office.
7. Son of Sardaar: Ajay Devgan said to be very closed to the film, as he even fight to get more screens for the film in competition with Shah Rukh Khan’s Jab tak hai Jaan. An action comedy genre film could not get much critical acclaimed but managed to cross 100 crore mark at box office with nett collection of Rs. 105 crore.
8. Bol Bachchan: Director Rohit Shetty made a modern version of the 1979 comedy film 'Gol Maal'. The film turned out to out-an-out entertaining film with best comedy timing and the dialogues. Film crossed Rs 100-crore mark in India.
9. Talaash: the film was much delayed and so awaited of the year. Though film managed get 100 crore mark worldwide but failed to get 100 crore mark in India. As it was Aamir’s film the expectations were high but the direction and story line by Reema Katgi & Zoya Akhtar couldn't really impress the audience. Worldwide film collected Rs. 104 crore.
10. Oh My God: the film turned out to be an out-&-out an Eye-Opener film. The film was based on a theater play of Paresh Rawal. The outstanding performance & and great story line, gave the film unexpected collections at Box office over Rs.90 crore worldwide.